Skip directly to content

Keith Howlette Trophy

Geoff has provided us with a fantastic photo of two framed football shirts that were worn by Keith during his time at Northbank.


The Keith Howlette Trophy was played for this year in the under 14 section of the Northbank Summer Tournament.
The competing teams were split into 2 groups of 4 - one group comprising of Edenvale, Crown Newlaithes, Warwick Wanderers and Northbank and the other group Gillford Park, Dalston, Edenvale Eagles and Warwick Wanderers Blue.

Unfortunately, the weather was very poor for the Tournament weekend but this did not affect the quality of the football played. After the group stages and two close semi-finals it was Edenvale and Gillford Park who contested the final. This game was very close with chances for both sides and it was always going to be the team that scored the first goal who would come out on top. That goal came courtesy of Aaron Atherton scoring for Edenvale and they managed to hold on to win the game 1-0. Phil Robinson gave a brief history of the trophy and Geoff Howlette presented the cup to the Edenvale captain Matthew Duckworth.

The photo's below show Geoff presenting the cup and the winning Edenvale Team. 

2009 - Played during Northbank FC Tournament at under 12 age group.

Edenvale Falcons ending up worthy winners of this great trophy.

Picture below shows Isobel, Keith's Mother presenting the trophy to the winning team.

2008 Pictures - Northbank U11's vs Carlisle City


The four teams- Northbank, Carlisle Spartans, Carlisle City & Penrith United- were put into the hat just before the action started. The team captains pulled out the numbers and Northbank were drawn against Spartans with Carlisle City playing Penrith United.
Spartans took an early lead in their game and they continued to control much of the game against Northbank. They eventually added a second and the game finished 2-0 to Spartans, sending them into the final. 

The City-Penrith Utd game was a more absorbing affair. United went 2-0 ahead in the first half and seemed to be cruising. City, without a regular keeper, pulled a goal back just before half-time and it was 2-1 at the interval. The second half was a transformation as City scored three goals to run out 4-2 winners. This left City playing Spartans in the final with Northbank playing Penrith Utd for third place. 

In the 3rd/4th place game, Northbank took an early lead with a headed goal but United equalised before half time. There were no further goals and the match had to enter a penalty shoot-out as the heavens opened. United held their nerve and came out winners to clinch third place. 

In the final, the first half was very even with City playing some decent football and Spartans looking dangerous in attack. Spartans took the lead before half-time and it was 1-0 at the break. The young City side tired in the second half and Spartans scored three more goals to win 4-0 at the end.

Everyone returned to the social room for the presentations made by Keith’s parents, Geoff and Isobel. There was a medal for each player with a handsome trophy presented to the captain of Carlisle Spartans. 

This will be an annual event and we already look forward to 2007.